Opening for residency in Fall 2019, Opal will be a boutique collection of retirement suites on Vancouver’s west side, offering refined amenities and services that are designed with the highest standards in mind. Opal is currently looking to hire an Executive Chef to join our Culinary Team.
Who we are:
At Opal, we are leading the way in redefining seniors’ living. We build and manage innovative communities that provide the highest quality of life for seniors and keep families together.
Our Values and Philosophy guide our business and are represented by the word IMPACT: Integrity in our actions, Mentorship of our people, Passion for our industry, Accountability to our customers, Creativity in our approach, and Teamwork that focuses on collaboration.
Every one of our employees plays a vital part in achieving our vision every day.
As the Executive Chef, your position is critical towards delivering the promised exceptional fine dining experience for our residents. The Executive Chef will be responsible for the startup and all-around success of OPAL’s state of the art daily kitchen operations. You lead the development and delivery of superior Continental cuisines and inspire and train a food service team to deliver a superior dining experience for residents.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, you will oversee OPAL’s culinary program and develop all food related functions including restaurant, catering and private dining operations, room service, cooking demonstrations, bar/lounge, and dining room support functions.
Who you are:
- Completion of a certified culinary program at a recognized college and Red Seal certification
- University degree/diploma in a related discipline field (Hospitality or Business Preferred)
- Food Safe Level 2 Certificate
- Serve It Right Certification
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional discipline
- Minimum of 3 years of senior management experience in an upscale restaurant, hospitality field, cruise or retirement community
- Experience within volume, quality and service delivery establishments
- Plans, organizes, directs and leads the activities of the culinary department to provide fresh, tasty food, colorful presentations and, attentive and warm service by establishing and monitoring workflow; evaluating performance and production; making changes as necessary to improve quality of service; coordinating culinary service activities with other departments; informing administration of activities, challenges and requirements; and, scheduling hours and assigning duties in the kitchen
- Responsible for enhancing the food product that is presented to residents by making changes that respond to the market and to resident’s needs, both present and anticipated and recommending changes to the food product to reflect an emphasis on scratch cooking using seasonal and local produce.
- Responsible for all aspects of culinary operation financial management including profit and loss, operating expenses and, developing and implementing revenue-generating programs.
- Participates supports and makes recommendations for ongoing community programs such as Farm to Table; actively networks to build and maintain vendor relationships within the region.
- Shape a positive culture by leading day-to-day activities in alignment with the values of Integrity, Mentoring, Passion, Accountability, Creativity, and Teamwork.
- Manage the hiring, training, development, and evaluation of all kitchen staff and dining room staff.
- Stay on top of industry trends and drive foodservice innovation that leads the industry while balancing business impact and financial sustainability.
- Provide guidance and direction to staff, including creating performance standards, setting expectations and providing opportunities for growth.
- Train kitchen and food service staff on the fundamentals of meal prep, good cooking, food presentation, and service delivery.
- Serve as a role model and encourage mutual trust, respect and, cooperation among team members.
- Ensure and implement safety and sanitation policies in the kitchen & outlet(s) that adhere to the OPAL, local, provincial and federal regulations.
- Purchase and monitor food and supplies from approved vendors.
- Prepare budget reports and maintain all required records such as invoices, expenses, and statistics to ensure costs are maintained.
- Assist the kitchen and dining room where and when necessary. It is expected that the Executive Chef’s duties are 60% hands-on in the daily operation.
We are one team. We believe that our collaborative culture provides a competitive advantage. We communicate openly with each other and value diversity in perspectives and opinions. We hold people in the highest esteem and work to understand and celebrate our differences. We offer the following benefits to our Executive Chef:
- Competitive compensation package (above industry average) + Performance-Based Bonus
- 100% Employer Paid Benefits including Extended Health, Dental & MSP
- RRSP Contribution
- Paid Vacation & Personal Days
- Opportunities for Career Growth
- Work/Life Balance
- Professional Tuition Reimbursement