Our client, a highly established and reputable building materials company, is currently seeking an experienced Senior Accountant to join their team and contribute to the success of their organization.
The Senior Accountant is a highly motivated and analytical thinker with the ability to work through complex problems in order to reach justifiable conclusions to support the company.
The Senior Accountant reports to the company General Manager and works in close conjunction with the all departments including Accounts Receivable and other administrative staff.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Full-cycle Accounts Payable including bank reconciliation. Includes preparation, coding and posting of vendor invoices, payment processing in accordance with vendor terms and company protocols, account reconciliations, monthly/annual reporting. Administrative support is provided for preparation/coding of vendor invoices.
- Process payroll and other payroll administrative tasks including maintaining employee records and data for annual performance reviews, managing incentive-program data, calculating annual sales commissions, managing and maintaining records for extended health plan
- Prepare, process and post government remittances (corporate tax, GST, PST) and others as required
- Prepare, process and reconcile payroll-related reporting and remittance requirements (WCB, Worksafe BC, WSIB, T4’s, ROE), and others as required • Cash flow management and reporting, including currency exchange buys
- Audit/approve Accounts Receivable transactions through daily review of cash batches and monthly aging reports
- Assist in the preparation of financial packages during month end and year-end
- Produce error-free financial analysis and reports on a monthly and yearly basis, and as needed to assist business units with project analysis and senior management in business decisions
- Review and recommend modifications to accounting systems and procedures to increase efficiencies and transparency and apply technology effectively to provide innovative and creative solutions
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Support month-end and year-end close process including preparation of monthly journal entries and account reconciliation for assigned general ledger accounts
- Prepare and schedule inter-company transactions and accounts and post eliminating journal entries
- Active participation and contribution in the annual fiscal budget process and financial projections throughout fiscal year; create and monitor budgets and forecasts; provide analysis and project future results
- Substantiate financial transactions by auditing documents. Verify and analyze business records, transactions, and procedures.
- Provide input into department’s goal setting process
- Monitor reserve accounts and short-term fund investments
- Attend meetings to report on accounting activities to Management, as required
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- An accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA)
- Progressive, senior-level accounting and financial reporting experience
- Expert proficiency in MS Excel
- Advanced proficiency in Word and Outlook
- Visible and recognized expertise in financial systems, including general ledger, GAAP, financial statement presentation, budgeting, payroll, and accounts payable.
- Experience in Ceridian PowerPay and Dayforce payroll processing an asset.
- Awareness of business trends
- Ability to distill and summarize complicated information in a simple and concise way and present it clearly
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills and a bias for action; exercise sound and logical judgment in various situations
- Proven organizational and multi-tasking skills and hands-on deadline-oriented work style
- Proven ability to negotiate with vendors and develop positive relationships
- Strong attention to detail and high level of report quality
- Excellent verbal and written English communication and presentation skills
- Highly motivated and results-oriented predisposition
- Must be service-oriented and able to juggle multiple priorities with shifting agendas
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to develop effective relationships with people at all levels of the organization; ability to work well in a collaborative teams as well as independently while maintaining a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Positive personality, strong business acumen, strong work ethic, able to work with little to no supervision
- Experience with managing cash flow, forecasting and budgeting
- Ability to manage full-cycle accounting including bank reconciliations, AP and payroll in a small to medium-sized business setting
- Experience with accounting for an import and wholesale distribution operation is an asset
WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE IN RETURN:
- Competitive Salary ($70K to 76K, dependent on experience)
- Competitive extended health & dental benefits plan offered
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- 3 weeks vacation to start with an increase to 4 weeks after three years
- And more!
If you are ready for a challenge and desire to make an influence in a role where you’ll be appreciated for your hard work and innovative spirit, we’re interested in hearing from you!
Interviews start ASAP! Apply today for consideration! (No cover letter required)
We look forward to working with you.