General Bank of Canada, a schedule 1 chartered bank headquartered in Edmonton, launched in 2005 and assists Canadians with their auto and commercial loan needs. A family run organization and part of the Wheaton Group of Companies, General Bank has helped Canadians across the country with their auto loan needs and more recently with commercial lending and aviation financing. In 2019, General Bank of Canada was recognized as an employer of choice, as the organization was named to the 2019 and 2020 list of Best Workplaces in Alberta!
Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer and functionally to the Conduct Review & Corporate Governance Committee, the Manager of Compliance works closely with the Executive team and Board of Directors to develop the Bank’s vision for regulatory compliance management and promote a culture of regulatory compliance awareness and adherence. The CCO will also work alongside the management team to ensure internal controls are sufficiently robust to achieve compliance with applicable regulatory requirements enterprise wide. Additional responsibilities are outlined below;
- Develop a shared vision with various stakeholders, including the Board of Directors, CEO President, CRO and the Conduct Review and Corporate Governance Committee, that provides for oversight of the Bank’s Regulatory Compliance Management (RCM) framework and the means by which the Bank satisfies its compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
- Formulating the annual strategic compliance strategy which outlines strategic goals, roadmap for implementation, and identification of stakeholders required to implement the strategic plan.
- Periodic reporting to the Conduct Review and Corporate Governance Committee and President expressing an opinion on the adequacy of, adherence to, and effectiveness of day-to-day controls, including an assessment of the Bank’s level of compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
- Maintaining ongoing relationship and dialogue with the executive team, internal audit, and departmental management to ensure that internal controls remain relevant, areas of evolving risk are identified, updates are recommended as required to the overall RCM framework, and an overall risk-based approach for identifying, assessing, managing, and mitigating regulatory compliance risk is implemented.
What you Bring to the Table:
The Chief Compliance Officer will have 10+ years of progressive experience in Enterprise Risk, Risk Management, or Corporate Compliance capacity. You will also have 5+ years of experience in a strategic level role in Enterprise Risk, Risk Management, or Corporate compliance. The following are required competencies for the role;
- Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s degree in the field of Finance, Law or Risk Management is required.
- Completion of Chief Compliance Officers Qualifying Examination (CSI), Governance Risk Compliance Professional (GRCP), Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS), or Certified Risk and Compliance Management Professional (CRCMP) designation, or working towards, is an asset.
- Financial industry compliance and risk experience is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian banking laws and regulations, including the Bank Act, OSFI guidelines, FCAC, and FINTRAC.
What We Offer:
As a valued employee of GBC, you will receive the following:
- Competitive salary + benefits package including extended health, dental and vision coverage
- RRSP Matching Program
- Work-Life Fit
- Great Downtown Location
- Onsite Gym
- Rooftop Patio to enjoy lunches + company events
Apply now for this exciting opportunity to join a growing organization!
Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. General Bank of Canada is an equal opportunity employer.