Our client, a dynamic new home builder whose founders are well seasoned in building great places to live, is looking for a Housing Development Manager to join their team on their next large-scale project in Colwood, BC.
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Housing Development Manager plays a key role in the overall development of single and multi-family housing. They will effectively manage designers, consultants and approval agencies, while ensuring homes are designed, approved, and delivered on a timely basis.
The Housing Development Manager works directly with the Program Manager in creating and delivering profitable housing development projects. They will work with internal / external staff to create budgets, contracts, schedules, financial and project analysis, review development applications, and provide support for strategic business initiatives.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Development Execution
- Works with the Program Manager, Land Development Manager, Sales Manager, Marketing Manager, and consultants in the creation of new community designs, unit layout, unit elevations, floor plans, and finish levels.
- Works with the Sales Manager and Marketing Manager in the sales launch of new projects, sales centres, show homes, model pricing and upgrades.
- Works with the Program Manager to manage all developer and builder related issues (e.g. during review and construction).
- Design & Approval
- Addresses design and approval issues in a timely and professional manner and ensures the development is proceeding on time and within budget.
- Responsible for forecasting, updating, monitoring, managing the development and approval process on a weekly basis with the Program Manager and/or COO, Multi Family.
- Coordinate and implement design changes from previous lessons learned.
- Willingness to participate in, and often lead, after hours community and/or civic meetings (public engagement).
- Construction, Purchasing and Estimating
- Works with Project Managers and Construction Manager to ensure all scopes of works, purchase orders, job starts etc… with trades, manufacturers, consultants etc. are up to date.
- Works with the Program Manager, Sales Manager, Marketing Manager, Construction Manager in creating and maintaining project critical paths from property due diligence to occupancy and condominium turnover.
- Ensures adequate project insurance, mandatory warranty enrollments, development/building permit applications, safety permits etc. are in place through Project Managers / Construction Manager (as applicable)
- Works with the Program Manager to select and engage the Condominium Property Managers. Oversees various property management responsibilities prior to condominium turnover, including set up of condo board / strata council.
- Attends project trade meetings.
- Maintains historical database of project costs, designs, trade lists etc. for forecasting purposes.
- Maintains a current working knowledge of the British Columbia Building Code and understands its relevance and implications to development design.
- Maintains a current understanding of the on-site construction activities and is a periodic presence during the construction phases to verify key milestones are being met.
- Finance, Accounting and Budgeting
- Works with the Project Managers, Construction Manager, to review and approve all contract invoices, purchase orders, extras etc.
- Works with Finance and Project Accountants and Program Manager, responsible for scheduling monthly budget reviews and project financing packages.
- Takes immediate and effective action (after consulting with others when necessary) to remedy problems and issues that arrive in the area of responsibility.
- Provides support, input and participates in the development and execution of the 5-year business plan.
- Participates in the development industry through active involvement in UDI, ULI and other industry groups including luncheons, continual learning, and afterhours functions.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- Previous large-scale Real Estate Development and/or Land Development experience
- Business Degree, and/or Engineering Degree / Technologist and/or Urban Planning Degree and/or
Project Management / Systems Implementation training and/or Architectural Technologist.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task; be proactive; and understand the importance of detail and meeting schedule.
- Understanding of the development approval process and the municipal approval environment.
- Understanding of overall development process and life cycle.
- Highly competent in cash flow analysis and budgeting.
- High level of computer skills and understanding of computer programs including (Microsoft Office, Excel, Project Management).
- Stays current with safety codes, engineering standards, etc.
WHAT YOU RECEIVE IN RETURN:
- Competitive Compensation ($100K to 150K), plus Bonus
- Ample room for growth
- Relocation bonus
- And more!
Interviews are taking place immediately and cover letters are not required.