Our client, Longview Aviation Capital (LAC), is seeking a new Director, Public Affairs who will oversee public affairs, media relations, government relations, employee communications and industry relations for LAC and its suite of subsidiaries.
Longview Aviation Capital Corp. (LAC) was established in 2016 to manage a portfolio of long- term investments in the Canadian aerospace industry. LAC includes the assets of Viking Air Limited, De Havilland Aircraft of Canada Limited (owner of the entire Dash 8 program including 100, 200, 300, and in-production Series 400 programs), Pacific Sky Aviation Inc., Longview Aviation Asset Management, and Longview Aviation Services.
LAC, through its subsidiaries, holds the Type Certificates for the entire product line of the original de Havilland Canada aircraft DHC-1 through DHC-8, the Viking Series 400 Twin Otter, and the Canadair CL-215, CL-215T, and CL-415 aerial firefighters. Longview has a workforce of approximately 2,000 full-time employees in manufacturing and aircraft service support in locations across Canada, including Victoria, Calgary and Toronto.
As one of Canada's leading and fastest-growing aerospace manufacturing and service companies, LAC’s work is global in nature. We succeed by providing unique, innovative solutions to customer demands – and we do so proudly, all around the world.
Reporting to the Vice President, Brand Marketing and Communications, this newly created position will assume accountability for internal and external communications under the LAC, De Havilland and Viking brands. The role is international in scope, with a primary focus on building the company’s corporate presence with Canadian and international aerospace and aviation audiences.
LAC is seeking accomplished applicants with background in and a passion for aerospace and aviation, and who are highly motivated to positively influence the growth of the Canadian aerospace sector. Independent and persuasive, the ideal candidate is a strategic and agile leader who brings out the best in all teammates while leading multiple projects at the same time.
- In line with LAC’s overall corporate strategy, contribute to and implement a strategic public affairs plan for diverse markets in Canada and around the world.
- Provides strategic communications counsel to LAC, Viking and De Havilland executives and senior management regarding public affairs, public relations, corporate reputation, crisis management, major transactions and other situations as required.
- Identify, lead, and drive communication opportunities that elevate LAC, De Havilland and Viking’s success in the aerospace marketplace, while furthering awareness of the respective brands in Canada and around the world.
- Plan and leading all media events including press events, product showcases, exhibition communications, and press tours, while adapting the message to the unique needs of customers in diverse markets.
- Lead the development of media communications, press releases, Q&As, key messages, backgrounders, bios, preparatory notes/binders and issue notes, as well as executive presentations, statements and other communications.
- Act as the main contact and spokesperson for LAC companies to media.
- Work in concert with the Vice President, Brand Marketing and Communications to lead corporate communication efforts related to all air trade shows and exhibitions.
- Work closely with colleagues across LAC’s suite of companies to support their efforts in building each company’s brand and marketing products and services.
- Advising, supporting and working closely in consultation with a range of colleagues to support internal initiatives, campaigns, recruitment, and corporate social responsibility initiatives.
- Develop communications policies to ensure high quality external and internal communications.
- Report to executives on effectiveness of communications efforts, relative to established KPIs and metrics.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience working in a media relations, public affairs or communications environment.
- Extensive experience in planning and delivering broadly based communications and public relations programs to support client or company goals and objectives, across a variety of communications channels
- Over 7 years experience leading public affairs teams, while becoming an effective advisor, coach, multi-tasker and delegator.
- Demonstrated ability to develop messages and materials for diverse audiences, including industry, government, stakeholder and the general public.
- Possesses an extensive range of media, stakeholder and government contacts in global aerospace and aviation, with the proven ability to further develop strong media and client relationships.
- Experience and comfort serving as a spokesperson for a diverse company operating in various markets around the world.
- Experience and a strong knowledge of relevant issues in the utility, passenger and special mission aerospace and aviation industry, with an ability to monitor, analyze and make recommendations regarding ongoing developments of relevance to the aerospace and aviation industry.
- Exceptional writing and oral communication abilities.
- A secondary language is considered an asset.
- Candidates are required to have and maintain, legal ability to travel globally.
The Director, Public Affairs role is based out of Calgary, Alberta but will require periodic travel across Canada and globally.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.