BC Place hosts the province’s biggest and brightest events. Home to the BC Lions Football Club,
Vancouver Whitecaps FC, BC Sports Hall of Fame, the largest trade and consumer shows in Western
Canada, world class concerts and incredible community events; a unique and exciting place to work!
We are a division of PavCo, a Crown Corporation with a mandate to generate economic and
community benefit for the people of British Columbia.
We're looking for a dedicated, team-oriented member who thrives in a fast-paced, high-energy
environment and who is committed to providing exceptional customer service to our clients and
guests. If you are interested in making a difference and contributing to world class events go to
bcplace.com and select more information under “Working at BC Place
We are seeking an experienced, proactive and innovative Health & Safety Specialist to oversee all
aspects of Health & Safety as it relates to safety at the stadium, our staff, guests and clients. The
Health & Safety Specialist develops, administers and maintains the organization’s safety programs
to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- Work directly with management in developing, implementing, administering, evaluating and monitoring a comprehensive facility-wide health & safety program.
- Investigate, develop and update policies and procedures for equipment safety certification, equipment operations, safe work procedures, incident/accident reports, WHIMIS, lockout, emergencies and evacuations, etc.
- Conduct regular site inspections (safety audits) and make recommendations that eliminate or reduce risks and increase safety. Ensure corrective actions are taken to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Provide a wide range of consulting services as required by individual programs including but not limited to health and safety, lockout of systems, confined space, electrical safety, ergonomics, and personal protective equipment.
- Ensure compliance with regulations regarding fire plans, emergency preparedness plans, maintain and update records, organize and participate in planning, lead response team meetings, schedule fire drills, maintain working relationships with authorities having jurisdiction.
- Work with Human Resources in conducting and coordinating the safely training needs of staff.
- Design and/or acquire suitable/specific programs and then arrange and facilitate the training.
- Maintain training records.
- Coach and motivate employees to ensure compliance to H&S procedures.
- Co-chair the Joint Health and Safety Committee, participate in the committee, and assist in the resolution of outstanding issues.
- Conduct job hazard/risk analysis and other assessments, i.e., ergonomics.
- Act as the point person for WorkSafeBC and Vancouver Fire & Rescue Services and ensure
- regulatory compliance.
- Track, complete, maintain and analyze safety related statistical reports.
- Assist with evaluation of tender documents and consultant proposals and make recommendation for approval from a health and safety perspective.
- Coordinate safety related activities for all contractors, clients and events.
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 2-5 years demonstrated experience as a Health and Safety practitioner in an event industry and or building maintenance environment.
- Professional certification or training in Occupational Health and Safety, supplemented by a
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or a Construction Safety Officer (CSO) designation.
- Excellent understanding of provincial occupational health and safety regulations and best practices.
- Exceptional diplomacy skills with a proven ability to collaborate cross-functionally and work well with employees of all levels.
- Effective problem-solving capabilities and communication of decisions
- Ability to prepare and deliver presentations for groups of all sizes.
- Self-starter with good project management skills and ability to multi-task and work under deadlines.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Able to work independently while also contributing to team environment.
- Must be available to work weekends and evenings, as required by event schedule.
- Driven by service excellence.
- Experience working in a unionized environment an asset.
PavCo is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from qualified women and
men including aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.