Our client, a leader in delivering large-scale services that support the sustainability and livability of Lower Mainland’s most populous and metropolitan regional district, is currently seeking a Supervisor, Civil Works Inspection Services to join their Water Services Department.
The Supervisor, Civil Works Inspection Services will manage and supervise a large team of civil works inspectors engaged in quality control and quality assurance of regional water and liquid waste construction projects.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Manages the provision of construction inspection services for water, liquid waste and solid waste engineering and construction and operations and maintenance projects.
- Plans, schedules and directs the work of Inspection staff and contractors providing a variety of services for infrastructure development, including: design constructability reviews; materials testing; welding inspection; coating and lining inspection; and general construction inspection of capital, operations / maintenance and Inter-Agency proximal works projects to ensure adherence to contract specifications and relevant standards.
- Contributes to preparing and managing the annual budget and monitors and controls spending ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds. Identifies efficiencies and coordinates work to mitigate delays. Implements strategies and systems to effectively use resources and contributes to short and long term planning.
- Ensures inspection work is completed in a timely manner and monitors work in the field for adherence to the division’s Inspection guidelines and standards. Addresses deficiencies, assesses workloads and coordinates activities. Ensures daily inspection reports are completed and forwarded to the respective Project Engineer/Manager in a timely manner.
- Ensures safe work procedures are integrated in the work routines of staff and conducts safety meetings and inspections. Monitors work practices in the field noting and addressing issues as they occur. Prepares written safe work and emergency procedures.
- Contribute to resolving constructability issues related to drawings and specifications. Works collaboratively with various groups and communicates relevant information to staff in the field. Works collaboratively to develop regular inspection requirements for critical infrastructure and ensures work is performed as scheduled.
- Manages the work activities of staff in multiple diverse locations and ensures job sites are appropriately staffed. Communicates regularly with staff to review work plans; clarify requirements; and receive updates.
- Supports staff in understanding complex contractual documents and in resolving difficulties encountered on site. Works collaboratively to resolve issues seeking the opinion or involvement of the Project Engineer/Manager or Program Manager, as required.
- Hires, supervises, directs and develops staff, monitoring performance towards division, department, and corporate objectives. Ensures staff adhere to corporate workplace conduct policies. Leads, coaches, and develops staff recognizing the importance of training. Coordinates and oversees the work of external inspection contractors and ensures corporate protocols and quality standards are adhered to.
- Keeps current with inspection methodologies and equipment and ensures work is performed in accordance with current best practices. Provides input and suggestions for divisional strategic planning, decision making and initiatives.
- Performs other related duties as required.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- Recent, relevant experience supplemented by a university degree or diploma in a relevant discipline such as Civil Engineering Technology; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Membership or eligibility for immediate membership as an Applied Science Technologist with the Association of Applied Science Technologist and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC) or membership or eligibility for immediate membership as a Professional Engineer with the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC)
- Sound technical knowledge and abilities related to inspection methodologies and processes for a variety of construction projects including large underground utility construction. Working knowledge of welding technology and inspection, and coating and lining inspection is an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of water and liquid waste infrastructure construction activities, processes and objectives. Ability to provide direction, create processes and make recommendations suited to the organization’s business needs. Sound experience in the review and application of construction specifications. Sound contract interpretation and administration skills.
- Ability to manage and monitor capital and operating budgets ensuring the effective and efficient expenditure of allocated funds. Ability to identify cost saving opportunities and coordinate work with various external parties to mitigate conflicting work and delays.
- Demonstrated supervisory skills and abilities including the ability to consistently apply and explain corporate policies and collective agreements. Provide constructive and motivating feedback to staff. Demonstrated ability to organize, direct and supervise the work of staff. Demonstrated ability to lead, organize and coordinate the work of others in accordance with best practices and corporate policy.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills related to the safe and effective operation of inspection equipment. Ability to provide advice to staff in the evaluation and resolution of matters such as determining right of way and road closure requirements.
- Sound knowledge of the occupational hazards, safety precautions and regulations relevant to construction activities for large underground utilities. Ability to apply safety policies and procedures and effectively enforce safety protocols and correct unsafe work behaviour.
- Ability to use judgment to resolve complex problems with considerable impacts requiring urgent remedy. Acts as a resource to staff for advice and guidance on potential approaches and problem situations. Demonstrates persistence in overcoming obstacles.
- Sound written and oral communication skills. Ability to provide clear instructions and tactfully respond to inquiries and complaints; write memos; prepare business cases; and report on activities.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts. Proven ability to work cooperatively with others; ability to deal with disagreements and prevent the escalation of conflict. Experience in dealing with labour relations issues.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
WHAT YOU RECEIVE IN RETURN:
- Competitive Salary (dependent on experience)
- Strong benefits package
- 6 weeks vacation
- Pension Plan
- Career growth and support
- And more!
If you’re ready for a challenge and ready to make an influence in a role where you’ll be appreciated for your hard work and innovative spirit, we’re interested in speaking with you!
Interviews start ASAP! Apply today for consideration! (No cover letter required)
We look forward to working with you.